Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Avondale House

Country House (18th Century), House (16th Century)

Site Name Avondale House

Classification Country House (18th Century), House (16th Century)

Canmore ID 74762

Site Number NS97NE 84

NGR NS 95472 79239

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/74762

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Grangemouth
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS97NE 84.00 95472 79239

NS97NE 84.01 95335 79172 Stables

NS97NE 84.02 95378 78875 Folly

Site Management (5 December 1990)

16th century with 18th century "Gothic" Symmetrical plan and elevation with turrets and battlements. Drip moulds over windows. (Historic Scotland)

Originally known as Clarkstone, Avondale was gothicised in the 18th century. Owned by the Duke of Hamilton, the proprietor in the early 19th century was William Logan. It was owned from 1922 by the Salveston family until being commandeered during WW2 as used as a Polish hospital. (Dean & Miers)

Activities

Photographic Survey (28 August 2017)

Avondale House has been photographed through the Threatened Building survey programme following a fire at the site. The fire damage is extensive, removing the roof and gutting the interior, consequently the photographic survey had to be limited to the exterior.

Visited by IA & ZB HES (Survey & Recording) 28 August 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions