Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Westray, Noup Head Lighthouse

Lighthouse (19th Century)

Site Name Westray, Noup Head Lighthouse

Classification Lighthouse (19th Century)

Canmore ID 74474

Site Number HY34NE 3

NGR HY 39200 49902

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/74474

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Westray
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Architecture Notes

HY34NE 3.00 39200 49902

HY34NE 3.01 39235 49899 Perimeter Wall and Gate-piers

(Location cited as HY 392 499). Noup Head lighthouse, Westray, completed 1898 by engineer D Alan Stevenson. A short tapering circular section tower with walkways at two levels. There are single-storey, flat-roofed keepers' houses, with prominent quoins. Unmanned since 1964.

J R Hume 1977.

The semi-detached single-storey keepers' houses mentioned by J R Hume are depicted on the 2nd edition OS 6-inch Map (Fife and Kinross, 1901, sheet LXXIV), but have since been demolished.

Information from RCAHMS (ITMP), January 2008

Activities

Construction (1896 - 1898)

Light established in 1898.

K Allardyce 1998

Modification (1964)

Automated in 1964.

K Allardyce 1998

Field Visit (1998)

Designed by David Stevenson and built in 1898, the Noup Head lighthouse provides warning of the North Shoal. The light has been automated and the keepers cottages are sealed up. The surrounding area is a designated RSPB sanctuary with one of the largest colonies of kittiwakes and guillemots in Britain.

Moore and Wilson, 1998

Coastal Zone Assessment Survey

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions