Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Graemsay, Hoy Sound High Lighthouse

Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Graemsay, Hoy Sound High Lighthouse

Classification Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) High Lighthouse

Canmore ID 74427

Site Number HY20NE 75

NGR HY 26809 06078

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/74427

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Hoy And Graemsay
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Archaeology Notes

HY20NE 75.00 26809 06078

HY20NE 75.01 26798 06070 Keepers' Cottages

Not to be confused with Hoy Sound, Low Lighthouse (HY 2467 0663), for which see HY20NW 24.

See catalogue for full RCAHMS collection.

(Location cited as HY 268 061). Hoy Sound High lighthouse, completed 1851 by engineer Alan Stevenson. Hoy High is a tapering circular section masonry tower, 108 ft (33.9m) high with balcony supported on Gothic-arched corbels. The flat-roofed keepers' houses are of Stevenson's classic Egyptian pattern.

J R Hume 1977.

HY 268 060 Hoy High lighthouse and associated buildings.

Sponsors: Historic Scoland, Orkney Archaeological Trust.

G Wilson and H Moore 1997

Activities

Construction (1851)

Light established in 1851.

K Allardyce 1998

Modification (1978)

Automated in 1978.

K Allardyce 1998

Field Visit (August 1997)

This lighthouse, together with its range of keeper's cottages, sheds, outbuildings, slipway and perimeter wall was built in 1851. The lighthouse tower is 33m high and its gallery is carried on gothic-arched corbels. The interior is decorated with angel statuettes and representations of classical wind gods. The flat-roofed, single storey cottages have massive projecting door surrounds and tall, tapering chimneys and are said to have been modelled on Egyptian temples. The lighthouse is now automatically operated and the cottages are currently occupied.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions