Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Some of our data services may be unavailable for a short period of time on Tuesday the 27th of March. This is due to essential maintenance.

Charterhall Airfield

Airfield (Second World War)

Site Name Charterhall Airfield

Classification Airfield (Second World War)

Alternative Name(s) Raf Charterhall

Canmore ID 74356

Site Number NT74NE 7

NGR NT 76377 46047

NGR Description Centred NT 76377 46047

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Fogo
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Charterhall Airfield was first used as a landing-strip during the First World War, when it was known as Eccles Tofts (see NT74NE 34), but its main use came during the Second World War. At this time it was enlarged and used as a night-fighter training centre.

Only a few of the military buildings survive, including two aircraft hangars, and the concrete footings of some smaller structures. The control tower has been demolished, along with eight Blisters, a form of hangar that needed no foundations.

Charterhall was dubbed 'Slaughter Hall' during the Second World War as so many accidents occurred during fighter pilot training.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NT74NE 7.00 centred 76377 46047

NT74NE 7.01 NT 7463 4623 Decontamination Centre; Buildings; Huts (Partially on map sheet NT74NW).

NT74NE 7.02 Centred NT 75956 46320 Aircraft Hangars; Buildings; Huts

NT74NE 7.03 NT 75933 46194 Control Tower (Watch Office)

Extends onto map sheet NT74NW, and into parish of Eccles.

For rest of airfield, see also (NT74NW 48) and also (for dispersed site), see NT74SE 63.

Some of the accommodation area and decontamination centre (NT74NE 7.01) falls on sheet NT74NW

The Southern part of the airfield falls in Eccles parish.

Used post-war as a motor racing circuit.

Visible on Ordnance Survey large scale vertical air photographs (OS 70/365/211-13).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 1989.

This airfield is still being used for motor racing and light aircraft, however at NT 7531 4610 in a small wood, the foundations for several buildings survive with an upstanding section of concrete. In woods to the S of the B6460 public road (NT 7462 4627 to NT 7498 4645) are the footings of a series of buildings with, including a large concrete building (on sheet NT74NW; NT74NE 7.01, NT 7463 4623) which is still virtually complete, but with much of the roofing collapsed. On the N wall of this building are the words 'Gas Decontamination Building' can still be discerned and in two rooms on the W side, some machinery survives. Further brick built buildings noted from the public road, survive on the E side of the airfield (NT c. 7695 4665).

A large grain silo has been built within the airfield central complex.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE), 18 March 1996.

Charterhall Airfield is built near the site of Eccles Tofts (see NT74NE 34), a First World War landing ground. The World War Two airfield opened on requisitioned land in April 1942. The main airfield site occupies about 120 hectares with an additional 22.8 hectares taken by the disperesed accommodation camps. Two runways were constructed, one 1227m long NNE to SSW and one of 1461m length ENE to WSW.

The airfield was supplied with three T1 or T2 type aircraft hangars, of which two survive and one Bellman type hangar now removed. The control tower (watch office), now also demolished wasto drawing number 518/40 with brick rendered re-inforced concrete often with a met office attached.

Eight blister hangars were located around the perimeter area, specifically the E, S and N sides, these have been removed, but the hardstandings for them still extant.

The sites of several accommodation and other camps exist (NT74NE 48.00) within the area, though some have now been completely removed.

The airfield is visible on wartime vertical air photographs (NLA 47, 5.5-5.8, flown 23 September 1942 and FNO 155, 2.26-2.30, flown 26 September 1942), both sorties showing that the airfield was still incomplete at these dates.

The main technical area including the aircraft hangars, huts and some buildings is now in use for agricultural purposes. Most of the perimeter buildings have been removed.

The airfield closed in 1946 and was placed on a caretaker basis, sold to private owners and continues to be used for light aircraft movements. Several airmen who were killed on active service whilst at the airfield are buried in Fogo cemetery.

Visited and information by RCAHMS (DE), March 2006.


Aerial Photography (23 July 1999)

Aerial survey of Charterhall Airfield by RCAHMS in 1999

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding earthwork or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions