Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 5 Forrest Hill, University Of Edinburgh, Department Of Artificial Intelligence

Drill Hall (19-20th Century), Drill Hall (Second World War), Drill Hall (First World War)

Site Name Edinburgh, 5 Forrest Hill, University Of Edinburgh, Department Of Artificial Intelligence

Classification Drill Hall (19-20th Century), Drill Hall (Second World War), Drill Hall (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) 41 Forrest Road; Territorial Army Centre; Artificial Intelligence Department; Edinburgh University

Canmore ID 74109

Site Number NT27SE 474

NGR NT 25651 73197

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/74109

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (28 October 2013)

In 1914 the enormous drill hall behind the modest façade was the HQ of both 4th and 5th battalions, the Royal Scots, and base for "A" to "H" Companies of both battalions.

Osborne notes that the hall was by Menzies and dates to 1872, with a later hall (or building) as 1903-4, possibly re-opening in 1905 as noted on inscriptions.

The drill hall noted in the Historic Scotland listed building description as dating to 1905, is on the extact footprint of the building is depicted on the 2nd edition of the OS 25-inch map (Edinburghshire 1896).

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 28 October 2013.

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 474 25651 73497

ARCHITECT: Cooper and Taylor, (1902-4).

See also:

Edinburgh, 41 Forrest Road, Doorway

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (30 July 1999)

On the left above the archway is the coat of arms of Edinburgh: a shield decorated with a three-towered castle, flanked by a maiden and a hind. On the right is the badge of The Royal Scots.

Inscriptions : Around top of archway (raised letters, some missing):

THE QU[EEN'S] RIFLE V[OLU]NTEE[R] B[RIGAD]E "THE ROYAL SCOTS" / HEADQUARTERS

In the pediment above the archway (raised numbers): 1904

Signatures : None

Design period : 1902 - 1904 (1)

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0117)

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions