Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 30-31 Chambers Street, Edinburgh Dental Hospital And School

Hospital (Period Unassigned), School (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 30-31 Chambers Street, Edinburgh Dental Hospital And School

Classification Hospital (Period Unassigned), School (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 74102

Site Number NT27SE 467

NGR NT 25718 73346

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 467 25718 73346

The Delacour paintings are no longer located at the Dental School, present location unknown (27.7.99)


Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association ( set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (6 February 2006)

Rectangular panel flanked by pillars on either side made up of of six grooved sections each with floral designs on top. Within the panel is the Edinburgh Dental Hospital coat of arms, composed of a winged rod and two crossed elephant tusks around which two serpents are entwined. At the bottom of the rod are thistles, and to either side is a ribbon carved with an inscription.

Inspected By : A A. Campbell

Inscriptions : On ribbon either side of rod (raised letters):




Above entrance (in incised letters):


Signatures : None

Design period : 1925-1927

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0559)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions