Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Chambers Street, William Chambers Statue

Statue (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Chambers Street, William Chambers Statue

Classification Statue (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 74098

Site Number NT27SE 463

NGR NT 25817 73359

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/74098

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 463 25817 73359

SCULPTOR: John Rhind 1891 -pedestal by H J Blanc

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (6 February 2006)

Statue of William Chambers in breeches and Provost's robes and chains. His right hand rests on his hip, his left arm hangs down with his left hand holding his hat. He faces south towards the museum. Behind him, below his robes, are two large bound books. On the south side of the pedestal are two inscription panels.

On the three other sides of the pedestal are bronze panels of semi clad females:

West: female, representing Liberality, almost kneeling, her braceleted right arm arranging a necklace at her shoulder, her head turning to her right. Her left hand is at her right knee, holding coins.

North: female, representing Perseverance, kneeling on her right knee, with her right hand behind her head holding a sword; her left hand holding a shield behind her bent left knee. Swirls of drapery behind shoulders and over thighs, otherwise naked.

East: seated female, representing Literature, almost cross-legged with quill in her right hand, her left hand on her thigh. On her knee are papers, a lamp is bottom right.

Inspected By : AA. Campbell

Inscriptions : On upper panel on S. side of pedestal (raised letters):

WILLIAM / CHAMBERS / of GLENORMISTON . LL.D / LORD . PROVOST / OF . EDINBURGH / 1865-1869 / BORN . 16 . APRIL . 1800 / DIED . 21 . MAY . 1883

On lower panel on S. side of pedestal (raised letters):

ERECTED . BY . THE . LORD . PROVOST / MAGISTRATES . AND . COUNCIL . 1891 / THE . RIGHT . HONBLE . JOHN . BOYD . LORD . PROVOST

Signatures : On bottom left of reliefs on N. and E. sides (incised letters): J. Rhind / 1890

On bottom right of relief on W. side (incised letters): J. Rhind / 1890

On right side of relief on W. side (incised letters): W SHIRREFFS / FOUNDER

On bottom right of inscription panel on S. side (incised letters):

W. SHIRREFF FOUNDER

Design period : 1888-1891

Year of unveiling : 1891

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0563)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions