Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Edinburgh, 33 Barony Street, Glasite Meeting House

Church (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 33 Barony Street, Glasite Meeting House

Classification Church (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Albany Lane; Glasite Chapel; Glasite Church

Canmore ID 74037

Site Number NT27SE 495

NGR NT 25704 74509

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/74037

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Alexander Black, 1836, with later additions and alterations

Activities

Standing Building Recording (27 April 2017 - 28 April 2017)

NT 25704 74509 A historical building survey was carried out, April 2017, of the category A listed meeting house. The building was designed by Alexander Black (1797 – 1858) for the Glasites, an offshoot of the Church of Scotland. The building was last used for worship in 1989 and contains a notably intact double-height late Georgian chapel or meeting house. An ornate three-tier pulpit on the interior S-facing elevation is a later insertion (1873) designed by the renowned architect David Bryce.

The survey was carried out prior to the proposed refurbishment works that included opening up blind windows on the S and E-facing external elevations and the removal of box pews and the lowest tier of the pulpit.

Archive: NRHE (intended). Report: Edinburgh City Council SMR and NRHE

Funder: Lee Boyd Ltd Architects on behalf of Scottish Historic Building Trust

Information from Michael Cressey (CFA Archaeology Ltd) May 2017. OASIS ID - cfaarcha1-284949

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions