Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Edinburgh, 111 - 112 Princes Street, Scottish Conservative Club

Club (19th Century), Department Store (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 111 - 112 Princes Street, Scottish Conservative Club

Classification Club (19th Century), Department Store (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Debenhams; The Picture House Theatre; Cinema; Kardomah Cafe; Ross Street South Lane

Canmore ID 74029

Site Number NT27SE 488

NGR NT 25029 73815

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/74029

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Architect: Sir Robert Rowand Anderson 1882-1884

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (15 May 2002)

Frieze above third floor windows carved in low relief with putti and swags of fruit and flowers. Along the frieze are five roundels; the first, third and fifth carved with a lion rampant, the second and fourth with entwined letters SCC.

Above second floor windows are carved panels. From W to E :- (1) foliage (2) foliage and male head (3) foliage and bowl of fruit (4) foliage (5) foliage and male head with ram's horns (6) foliage & bowl of leaves.

Above first floor windows are six identical panels of foliage.

On balcony below first floor bay windows is a panel carved with swags of foliage and a central circle.

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : In second and fourth roundel in frieze above third floor windows, entwined raised letters : SCC (= Scottish Conservative Club).

In circle on balcony below first floor bay window, entwined raised letters : CC

In spandrels of entrance, entwined raised letters: CC

Signatures : None

Design period : 1882 (original bldg) / 1978-1981 (alterations)

Year of unveiling : 1882

Unveiling details : Opened by the Marquis of Salisbury 23 November 1882

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0959)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions