Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Corn Drying Kiln (Period Unassigned), Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Deasphollag

Classification Corn Drying Kiln (Period Unassigned), Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 7399

Site Number NC96SW 3

NGR NC 904 602

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Farr
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC96SW 3 904 602.

(NC 904 602) The depopulated settlement of Deasphollag (Name Book 1873) or Hespuli (H Morrison 1853; Name Book 1873) which consisted of croft houses and a meeting house (H Morrison 1853) was under sheep by 1873.

As it did not form part of the estates of the Sutherland family (J Prebble 1963) the actual date and circumstances of depopulation are not known.

H Morrison 1853; Name Book 1873; J Prebble 1963.

Deasphollag, a deserted township, comprises the footings of 11 buildings varying in size from 35.0m by 3.5m to 4.0m by 3.0m, several enclosures and kaleyards, with traces of lazy beds. One of the buildings incorporates a corn drying kiln. The meeting house at NC 9038 6034 is "T shaped" in plan orientated north north east-south south west, its greatest internal dimension being 18.3m. There are probably entrances at either end. No graveyard is visible. The date of desertion is not known locally.

Visited by OS (J B) 29 June 1977.

NC 906 600. A rectilinear house and enclosure with walls standing 1m high; and a grass-covered long-house in very poor condition.

Mid-Halladale Survey 1979 no 51

(R Mercer)

This township comprises twelve unroofed buildings, three enclosures and a head-dyke as depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet xx). Fourteen unroofed buildings, one of which is a long building with four compartments, one unroofed structure and an enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1962).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 18 August 1995


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions