Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

South Queensferry, General

Burgh (Medieval), Village (Period Unassigned)

Site Name South Queensferry, General

Classification Burgh (Medieval), Village (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 73632

Site Number NT17NW 175

NGR NT 1291 7839

NGR Description Centred NT 12 78

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/73632

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Dalmeny
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT17NW 175 centred 12 78

Appears as a burgh dependent on the abbey of Dunfermline in a charter of Robert I of 1315 x 1328. Erected a burgh of regality in 1576/7, and became a royal burgh in 1636.

G S Pryde 1965.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Academy Architecture: Sydney Mitchell & Wilson.

Additions to the Hawes Inn, South Queensferry. 1893. p.71.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

National Library of Scotland

Vol.1.,No.43. Watercolour sketches by Thomas Brown, Advocare, is a view of the church ruin. Ref. 'Adv.MSS.34.8.1-3'

See under 'Water Colour Sketches, Series of, By Thomas Brown.'

National Archive of Scotland

Proposed chain bridge. 1 proof impression of the engraving of the bridge across the Forth. Receipt fro ?1.15.0.

James Anderson, engineer. 1818. Ref.GD150/3358

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (8 October 2002)

Tall metal sign post with attached shield on which are the Queensferry arms :- St Margaret standing in a boat with a sceptre in her right hand and a book, lying against her breast, in her left.

NB. There is an identical sign at the western entrance to South Queensferry.

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : On banner below coat of arms (painted letters):

INSIGNIA BURGI PASSAGII REGINAE [= The insignia of the Burgh of the Queen's Ferry ]

Below that (in applied letters):

QUEENSFERRY

Signatures : None

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1147)

Field Visit (8 October 2002)

Double handrail running along the inner edge of the pavement of the Loan. At its north end are two tall thin poles topped with triangular flag shapes, each pierced with a hole.

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1996

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1155)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions