Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Craighouse Road, New Craig House

Hospital (19th Century), University (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Craighouse Road, New Craig House

Classification Hospital (19th Century), University (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Napier University; Royal Edinburgh Hospital

Canmore ID 73627

Site Number NT27SW 195

NGR NT 23353 70686

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/73627

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SW 195 73353 70686

NT27SW 12 23459 70660 Old Craig House

NT27SW 697 23434 70500 South Craig House

NT27SW 1006 23429 70558 Bevan House

NT27SW 1007 23431 70626 East Craig House

NT27SW 1008 23249 70658 Queen's Craig House

NT27SW 1009 23621 70611 East Lodge

ARCHITECT: Sydney Mitchell and Wilson 1890-4

DECORATION: James Clark, George Street (information from Mr Gibson 1.11.1989)

OWNERS: Formerly Royal Edinburgh Hospital. From 1993/4 - part of Napier University.

Activities

Photographic Survey (1955)

Photographs by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1955.

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Standing Building Recording (1 June 2015 - 11 September 2015)

Wardell Armstrong Archaeology was commissioned by Clearbell Capital LLP to prepare a level II building survey for New Craig, Craighouse, Edinburgh (NT 2345 7066) in support of a proposed redevelopment of the site into a residential area. (Ref. 12/04007/LBC).

Information from Arianne Buschmann and Richard Newman (Wardell Armstrong Archaeology) December 2015. OASIS ID: wardella2-223763

Trial Trench (25 April 2016 - 26 April 2016)

Centred on NT 2340 7060: Archaeological evaluation at Craighouse, Craighouse Road, Edinburgh. Five trenches were opened over two days to investigate a large sample area of the proposed development site (figure 2). Four of the five trenches opened contained no archaeological features. Trench 12, which was excavated in the wooded area to the north of New Craig, contained the remains of a Victorian rubbish pit, with layers of ash presumably from the nearby boiler house. A number of post-medieval finds were recovered from contexts within this trench, which was recorded to a maximum safe depth of 1.2m before natural was encountered at approximately 2m.

Information from Ruby Neale (Wardell Armstrong Archaeology) May 2016. OASIS ID: wardella2-250011

Standing Building Recording (12 February 2018 - 22 February 2018)

NT 23368 70681 A programme of wallpaper recording was undertaken, 12 – 22 February 2018, in the entrance hall and billiard hall of New Craig, Craig House. The recording covered the well preserved remains of the original 1890s wallpaper within the entrance hall and billiard hall of the main building of the purpose-built Royal Edinburgh Asylum.

The wallpaper in the entrance hall is in the imitation style of embossed leather wall coverings, most popular in the late 19th century. The use of pressed paper with metal foil and varnish made the wallpaper more affordable. The wallpaper had been used as a frieze above the wood panelled elevations of the entrance hall of New Craig. The embossed floral elements have been coloured in with a variation of green, blue and yellow/orange. Although there are some smaller areas of damage, the wallpaper is overall in a fair condition and can be preserved in situ.

The remains of the well preserved original 1890s wallpaper was recorded in the billiard hall. This machine made, embossed wallpaper consists of golden metal foil, which has been painted over with various shades of green, red and blue. Although the gold metal foil appears to be the base colour for the wallpaper, large areas have been painted green as part of the floral design. Sections of the wallpaper along the W elevation had been removed during earlier renovation works. Furthermore, the wallpaper within the circular bay and S elevation underwent earlier restoration efforts, which caused a visible difference in its appearance. These areas are of noticeable lesser quality than the unrestored wallpaper. As the wallpaper is firmly attached to the wall, removal would cause significant damage. However, it will be possible to cover the larger panels of wallpaper in situ, and remove the previously restored wallpaper.

Archive: NRHE (intended)

Private individual

Ariane Buschmann and Frank Giecco – Wardell Armstrong Archaeology

(Source: DES Vol 19)

OASIS ID: wardella2-309971

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions