Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Carn Nan Uaigh

House (Period Unassigned), Settlement(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Carn Nan Uaigh

Classification House (Period Unassigned), Settlement(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 7108

Site Number NC91SW 1

NGR NC 9347 1404

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Clyne
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC91SW 1 9347 1404.

(NC 9347 1404) Carn nan Uaigh (NR).

OS 6"map, (1963)

The old hunting house in the Glen of Loth consisted of a gallery with a number of small rooms on the sides, each formed of three large stones - one on each side and one covering. At the end was a large oval apartment, and the passage or gallery was roofless - known locally as a "Uag" (Morrison 1883).

A farmhouse was built on its site about 1798 (OSA 1793); but by 1871 non remains were to be seen at the site (ONB 1871).

Pococke (1887) suggests that this was a chambered cairn as the name Carn nan Uaigh - "Cairn of the Tomb" - implies.

T Pennant 1776; Statistical Account (OSA) 1793; Ordnance Survey Name Book (ONB) 1871; H Morrison 1883; Pococke 1887.

Situated on a low rise at the end of a spur within an early modern field enclosed by a dry-stone dyke, is a complex of stone-built structures named Carn nan Uaigh, heavily robbed and now turf-covered. It includes the remains of two wag type homesteads, and the footings of a rectangular house, probably the "farmhouse" built about 1798 noted by OSA (1793). The summit of the rise has been scarped around the southwest and NW to create a platform-effect, at what period and for what reason is uncertain.

The better-preserved homestead on the east slopes of the rise is rectangular, oriented E-W, but overlaid by rubble wall on the west side and denuded in the east which is noticeably built up above natural ground level. The north and south walls, obscured by tumble, are approximately 2.0m thick and survive to 0.1m high. The homestead is about 5.0m in internal width, and contains two parallel rows each of four erect stones protruding up to 0.6m high above the debris-choked interior.

All that remains of the second homestead are four similar upright slabs protruding through an amorphous mass of turf-covered rubble, apparently delineated on the east side by some form of stone build-up. The "farmhouse" footings occur immediately to the NW of the homestead.

Any trace of cultivation which may have been associated with the homesteads would be obliterated by later activity.

Revised at 1/10,000.

Visited by OS (E G C) 5 June 1961 and (J M) 7 May 1976.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions