Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Brechin, Park Road, Brechin Railway Terminus

Railway Station (19th Century)

Site Name Brechin, Park Road, Brechin Railway Terminus

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) St Ninian's Square

Canmore ID 70771

Site Number NO66SW 28

NGR NO 60162 60184

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/70771

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Brechin
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO66SW 28.00 60162 60184

NO66SW 28.01 NO 6033 6016 Crane

For discovery of bronze sword at NO c. 602 601, see NO66SW 8.

Caledonian Railway. Preserved steam railway line.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NO 603 602). Brechin Station, built 1847-8 by the Aberdeen Rly, enlarged 1894-5 by the Caledonian Rly, architect Thomas Barr. Formerly a two-platform terminus, with a neat single-storey stone building. This still retains its iron-framed awning. There is a large stone goods shed.

J R Hume 1977.

This Caledonian Rly station was the terminus of the two very short branches (to NW and SE) from that company's Bridge of Dun - Careston - Forfar secondary line. It was opened on 1 February 1848 by the Aberdeen Rly and closed to regular passenger traffic on 4 August 1952.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 28 July 2000.

R V J Butt 1995.

Architecture Notes

NO66SW 28 60162 60184

NO66SW 28.01 NO 6033 6016 Crane

NO66SW 28.02 NO 60154 60157 Goods shed

NMRS REFERENCE

Caledonian Railway.

Original part built 1847-8, extended by Thomas Barr 1894-5, re-opened 01/06/1895 (Forfar & Brechin Railway); closed 04/08/1952.

Now the terminus of the Caledonian Railway, Brechin to Bridge of Dun preserved railway.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), March 2007

Activities

Publication Account (2013)

The branch line terminus had an overall roof over three tracks, the 1848 station building in the Italianate style fronting the north side. The supporting columns and brackets are retained, without a roof. The end of the line was given a new station building by the Caledonian Railway in 1895 containing the original ticket counter and station master’s desk (open when trains run) The goods depot to the south of that now forms the workshop for the Caledonian Railway, which runs steam and diesel trains to Bridge of Dun. Clustered on the south side of St Ninians Square were practical buildings associated with the railway: slaughterhouse, bleach green, rope walk and, the town fire station, the latter still extant. The building to the east of the station on the north side of the platform was a manure works.

M Watson, 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions