Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilphedir

Field System (Period Unassigned), Hut Circle(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Kilphedir

Classification Field System (Period Unassigned), Hut Circle(S) (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 7002

Site Number NC91NE 29

NGR NC 993 187

NGR Description Centred NC 993 187

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/7002

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kildonan
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC91NE 29 centred 993 187.

(Centred NC 994 186) Hut Circles (NR) (Even shown)

(A: NC 9904 1880) Enclosure (NR)

OS 6" map, 1964.

To the N of the road bridge over Allt Cille Pheadair, is a circular enclosure (A) formed by a single line of contiguous boulders. At the NE, a mound about 14' in diameter lies partly on the circumference. A number of mounds, several apparently excavated, and some hut circles lie nearby. Amongst these mounds are the remains of old banks or walls, in some instances connecting with small circular enclosures. One, 350 yards SSW of the broch (See NC91NE 27) is 9' internal diameter with a S entrance. Attached to it on the S is an oval enclosure meauring 15' by 11' internally.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.

A total of five hut circles (A, B, D, E and F) an enclosure (C), a sub-rectangular structure (G) and a scooped shieling-type structure (H) were locate dduring field perambulation.

Visited by OS (W D J) 21 May 1960.

Centred at NC 993 187 on an undulating SW-facing slope in open moorland, is a settlement of five stone-walled huts (A-E) within a well-preserved field system. Huts C and E are more massive than the others, being broadly similar to Kilphedir type II (See NC91NE 25) whereas A, B and D can be equated with the earlier type 1 hut. F cannot be located.

Of the dunuded hut A, 12.5m overall diameter, little more than the outer face of stones on edge can be seen. The mound overlying the wall in the NW is a clearance heap. B measures 7.0m N-S by 6.0m internally within a wall of 1.1m estimated thickness. Some outer facing stones are visible. C is 12.5m NW-SE by 10.0m within a wall now 0.8m internal height which is spread to 3.0m broad widening to 4.0m at the entrance which is clubbed. Hut D adjacent to C is 5.5m NW-SE by 5.0m within a wall spread to 2.0m broad, and E is 8.0m NW-SE by 7.0m within a wall of 2.0m estimated breadth widening to 3.0m at the entrance where one portal stone is extant. The entrance to each hut is in the S or SE arc, and, with the exception of C is of simple form. The field system occupies an area of about 15 hectares, best-preserved in the vicinity of huts A and B where a number of contiguous cultivation plots, 25.0m by 15.0m average size, are discernible. These plots are delineated by clearance, heaped and linear, and stony lynchets.

The 'sub-rectangular structure' (G) cannot be located, and the structure (H), as described by previous OS field investigator, is possibly a shieling.

Re-surveyed at 1:10,560

Visited by OS (N K B) 26 July 1976.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions