Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Kiln (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Badleathan

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Kiln (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Munsary

Canmore ID 69561

Site Number ND24NW 16

NGR ND 2068 4564

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Watten
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND24NW 16 2068 4564.

Badleathan: The ruins of a small farmstead.

Name Book 1877

This is centred around two long rectangular structures set at right angles to each other, one of which has a kiln.

That aligned WSW-ENE measures 26m long by 5.8m at the E end and 5.5m at the W end, including the width of the walls which are 0.9m thick, (where both wall faces are evident). The E half of the N wall still stands to a height of 1.1m, but the remainder of the walls vary in height between 0.55m and 0.35m. The only obvious entrance is centred in the E gable and is almost 2m wide. An internal division exists 16.5m from the E gable, with a doorway into the W room 0.8m wide at its S end.

Attached to the N side of this structure is an enclosure defined by a grass-covered wall spread to 1.1m and c0.3m high. It defines an area 13.9m by 14.5m maximum and has an entrance 1.5m wide in its SW corner.

A further enclosure is attached to the E side of this, extending c25m N of the structure, but is poorly defined. It may be associated with the slight remains of a grass-covered rectangular structure measuring a maximum of 4.4m by 3.7m.

A small sub-square structure is situated 1.25m S of the W part of the long rectangular structure. It measures 4.5m WSW-ENE in length and 3.5m wide. Including the width of the walls which are 0.6m wide. At the E end the walls stand to 0.7m, but at the W end are only 0.2m high. The entrance is in the N wall, by the NW corner, and is 0.7m wide.

The second long rectangular structure is aligned NNW-SSE. Its NE corner is situated 2.5m W of the SW corner of the other long building. The overall dimensions are 20.5m by 5.5m, with its mainly grass-covered walls spread between 0.7m and 1.25m and standing between 0.1m and 0.75m. Internal divisions form three rooms, which measure from N to S, 2.5m wide, 3.5m and 8.9m wide between wall centres. At the S end there is a kiln which appears to have been subsequently attached to the structure as it is slightly offset from the centre of the gable. It is also grass-covered, is 5m in diameter, stands at least 1m high, has a hollow in its top, and has its flue due S.

An enclosure extends to the W, defined by a grass-covered low wall, at most 0.4m high and spread to c1m. It defines an area 90m W-E and 22m N-S. Across the SW corner of this enclosure is an area of abandoned peat cuttings.

NMRS MS/645.

A farmstead comprising three unroofed buildings, two of which are long buildings, and an enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1877, sheet xxviii). Two unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1975).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 24 November 1995


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions