Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Greenock, James Watt Dock, Giant Cantilever Crane

Crane (20th Century)

Site Name Greenock, James Watt Dock, Giant Cantilever Crane

Classification Crane (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Greenock Harbour; Titan Cantilever Crane

Canmore ID 68372

Site Number NS27NE 17.01

NGR NS 29574 75685

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/68372

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Inverclyde
  • Parish Greenock
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Inverclyde
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Summary Record (1 July 2016)

The James Watt Dock cantilever crane (150 tonnes) was built in 1917 by Sir William Arrol and Co. for the Greencok Harbour Trust. It is no longer operational. The structure was given A-listed status in April 1989.

It is one of four cranes of this kind surviving on the River Clyde. The others are; the Finnieston/Stobcross crane, Glasgow (Cowans Sheldon and Co. of Carlisle, Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Co., 1931, 175 tonnes); the Clydebank crane, West Dunbartonshire (Sir William Arrol and Co., 1907, 150 tonnes); at the former John Brown shipyard, West Dunbartonshire (Sir William Arrol and Co., 1907, 150 tonnes); the former Barclay Curle/North British Diesel Engine Works crane, Glasgow (Sir William Arrol and Co., 1920, 150 tonnes).

Information from Martin Conlon, 1 July 2016

Archaeology Notes

NS27NE 17.01 2957 7568

Formerly entered as NS27NE 17.

Visible on vertical air photographs (OS 88/041/98, 100, flown 1988).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM/DE) July 1996

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Crane built by Sir William Arrol

Activities

Project (2008)

An impact assessment was undertaken by Headland Archaeology in 2008.

Headland Archaeology 2008

Watching Brief (9 March 2011 - 7 September 2011)

NS 2994 7553 A watching brief was undertaken on 9 March 2011 during ground-breaking works at James Watt Dock. The site had been identified as being archaeologically sensitive and potentially contained earlier dock features/surfaces and pre-industrial archaeological remains. The small area of ground-breaking works that was monitored revealed a brick constructed culvert that contained a number of cast-iron pipes and modern cables. This culvert was considered to be part of the 1870's dock construction. No other significant archaeological finds or features were recorded.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: James Watt Dock LLP

Headland Archaeology Ltd, 2011

Information also reported in Oasis (headland1-109532) 17 February 2012

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions