Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Falkland, Well Brae, Linoleum Works

Works (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Falkland, Well Brae, Linoleum Works

Classification Works (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) St John's Works

Canmore ID 68117

Site Number NO20NE 100

NGR NO 2535 0715

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/68117

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Falkland
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Activities

Publication Account (2013)

ST JOHN’S LINOLEUM WORKS

Falkland, A 912, on hillside

NO2535 0715

The older part was built in brick between 1892 and 1912: a range of buildings with a serrated row of roofs over arched windows at each drying chamber, the whole fringed by balconies for access. At first making floorcloth, it expanded considerably in 1933 when it was owned by S C W S (Scottish Wholesale Co-operative Society). The reinforced concrete framework is filled with glass and brick, and makes no concession to the ‘heritage’ location of a village containing Falkland Palace.

A lino works requires tall drying chambers in which to dry the freshly pressed linoleum. These have been floored across to make the works suited to other uses. Until 2013 this meant production of plastic packaging bags by the papermaker Smith Anderson and Co, based in Leslie, Fife. Raw materials were stored at the west of the complex in large warehouses clad in corrugated iron.

M Watson, 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions