Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Caddrounburn Culvert

Fort (Prehistoric)(Possible), Settlement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Caddrounburn Culvert

Classification Fort (Prehistoric)(Possible), Settlement (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 67963

Site Number NY59NE 2

NGR NY 582 983

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/67963

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Castleton
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NY59NE 2 582 983.

(A: Centre : NY 58199836) FORTS (NR).

(B: centre - NY 58249838)

OS 6" map (1923)

Settlement, Caddrounburn Culvert. The remains of a small settlement are situated on a gentle slope facing SE, 200 yds. SW of Caddrounburn Culvert and at the SE end of the dykes described under No.129 (RCAHMS 1956). The settlement, which is 160 yds. from the right bank of the Liddel Water, at a height of 640 ft. OD, consists of two separate enclosures (Fig.130). The larger is a three-sided enclosure with rounded corners, which measures 170 ft. from N to S by 140 ft. transversely. It is formed by a drystone wall, the debris of which is spread to a width of as much as 25 ft. and stands to a height of 5 ft. on the SE side. No facing-stones are visible, but the wall was probably about 7 ft. in thickness.

There is a single entrance, 7 ft. wide, in the SE side, immediately within which the ground is depressed and marshy. In the SW part of the enclosure an area of about one-third of the whole is cut off by the ruins of a cross-wall of similar proportions to that of the enclosure wall itself. It runs from NW to SE with a gap between each end of it and the enclosure wall. There are no features within the part of the enclosure that lies SW of the cross-wall, but in the remainder there are four circular hut-foundations, of stones covered with turf but with no apparent entrance gaps; the walls of these huts are 2 ft. 6 in. in thickness and a few inches in height. The westernmost hut is 19 ft. in diameter, the other three 14 ft. A length of ruined wall runs SSW from the side of the northernmost hut for a distance of about 30 ft., then becoming lost in marshy vegetation.

The smaller enclosure lies a few yards ENE of the larger. It is an enclosure of irregular shape, measuring 110 ft. from E to W by 80 ft. transversely. It is formed by a drystone wall, once probably about 5 ft. thick but now spread to a width of up to 15 ft.; a well-preserved portion in the SE side, just SW of the entrance-gap, stands to a height of 2 ft. The entrance is about 8 ft. in width; it has been disturbed by a drain which passes through it to carry off water from the boggy interior. Within the entrance there is a depressed marshy area and immediately to the N. of this a natural terrace on which there is a circular hut-foundation 19 ft. in diameter with a low wall 2 ft. 6 in. in thickness. Like those in the larger enclosure this hut shows no sign of a doorway.

RCAHMS 1956, visited 1949

As described above.

Visited by OS (JLD) 7 October 1960

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding earthwork or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions