Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Carby Hill

Settlement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Carby Hill

Classification Settlement (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 67896

Site Number NY48SE 7

NGR NY 49060 84360

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/67896

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Castleton
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT48SE 7 49060 84360

(NY 4905 8435) Enclosed Hut Group (NR)

OS 6" map (1957)

The fort (R W Feachem 1963; RCAHMS 1956, visited 1949) walled settlement (R W Feachem 1965) crowning the conspicuous summit of Carby Hill (875 ft OD) consists of an oval enclosure measuring 285 ft by 225 ft within the massive ruin of a stone wall which must originally have measured 10 ft or 12 ft in thickness. The inner edge of the tumble is followed by the ruin of a relatively recent dry-stone dyke. The interior contains at least six circular stone-walled hut foundations (twelve are noted by J Maughan 1868) probably of 2nd century AD or later date. This fort might possibly represent an unusually large example of this kind of late settlement, but it is also possible that it originally contained timber-framed houses of which no surface traces now remain, and that it dates from pre-Roman times.

This probable settlement has dimensions as stated. The tumbled walling is spread to a maximum width of 8.0m in the S, but is largely robbed and grassed-over around the N and E. The only trace of facing material is a 4.0m length of grounder blocks in the SE, and of several breaks around the circuit, a 4.0m wide depression on the W side is the probable entrance.

In the interior are six hut circles from 8.0m to 11.0m in diameter over walling up to 2.5m wide. Only a vague stone spread of a probable seventh survives. One hut (A on plan) has a shallow ditch around its S side and the remains of a stone bank (? double wall) round its N side. Other amorphous scoops and stone spreads may be contemporary but are unclear. The prominent situation with steep slopes all round, except on the SE, together with the strength of the wall and possible timber house platforms, indicate that this was possibly a fort superseded by a later settlement.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (JRL) 20 August 1979

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions