Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tinnis Hill

Cairn (Period Unassigned), Plantation Bank (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Tinnis Hill

Classification Cairn (Period Unassigned), Plantation Bank (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Canmore ID 67879

Site Number NY48NW 1

NGR NY 4309 8545

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/67879

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Castleton
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NY48NW 1 4308 8545.

(NY 4308 8545) Cairn (NR)

OS 6" map (1957)

The ruins of a cairn occupy the summit of Tinnis Hill (1326 ft OD); all that remains is a low spread mound of small boulders measuring about 30 ft by 35 ft, on top of which a modern cairn has been built.

At a low level, the summit-knoll is encircled by a narrow terrace, faced with drystone masonry and carrying a slight turf bank. This is probably only a plantation bank, while a second enclosure immediately surrounding the cairn may have been intended to isolate the ruins within the planted area.

RCAHMS 1956, visited 1949

The 0.3m high cairn has been so spread that it is now indistinguishable from the low enclosing bank which measures approximately 18.0m by 17.0m. An Ordnance Survey triangulation pillar stands on the E side of the cairn and a crude stone shelter has replaced the modern cairn. The footings of a sub-oval stony bank, 60.0m by 50.0m, survive just below the summit area. Its origin and purpose are not clear and whether it is a plantation bank is a matter of conjecture.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (MJF) 31 July 1979.

The remains of a round cairn are situated on the summit of Tinnis Hill. It measures 19.5m in diameter but has been heavily robbed and is now no more than 0.6m high. An OS triangulation station on the NE edge of the cairn is enclosed by a low drystone wall.

The cairn has probably been robbed to provide stone for the now-ruinous wall that encloses the top of the hill.

Visited by RCAHMS (ARW, SPH), 27 April 1993.

This heavily robbed cairn is generally as previously described, measuring 18.8m in diameter and 0.5m in height. A rough stone shelter has been built against the OS triangulation pillar, which stands on the NE edge of the cairn, and in the centre of the cairn there is a hollow surrounded by upcast stone.

Around the base of the knoll that crowns the summit of the hill there is a drystone wall, 0.7m high and 1.4m thick, reduced in places to a stony bank, which encloses an oval area measuring 60m by 53m. This may be a plantation bank, although no evidence of any stumps or tree throws was noticed within the enclosed area.

(LID96 151-2)

Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 26 February 1996

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding earthwork or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions