Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Whithaugh Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Whithaugh Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 67861

Site Number NY48NE 12

NGR NY 4888 8801

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/67861

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Castleton
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NY48NE 12 4888 8801.

(NY 4887 8798) Tower (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1957)

Only the foundations of Whithaugh Tower remained in 1795, and in 1931 the only surviving portion was an unvaulted cellar, partly underground. An armorial stone dated (?) 1552 and insribed BIGIT B(E) LONSI ARMSTRONG, taken from it, has been inserted above the entrance to the modern mansion of Whithaugh.

RCAHMS 1956, visited 1931; OSA 1795

"The hous of Quhythauch in Liddisdaill" was taken by the English in an escalade in 1582, and was burnt in 1599.

Whithaugh and its laird were next in importance to Mangerton (NY48NE 3, the residence of the chief of the Armstrongs).

W A Armstrong 1960

There is no trace of stonework or other features at the OS site which is in a small wood beside a burn. The cellar is at NY 4888 8801 under the S wing of the mansion (Mr Walters, Whithaugh) (access is gained from inside the house). The armorial stone is as described. Documentary evidence indicates that the tower was destroyed circa 1770 and that the stones were used in the steading (M Robson, Hawick Museum).

Visited by OS (MJF) 20 August 1979

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: Upstanding building, which may not be intact.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions