Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Woodslee

Cairn (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Mound (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Woodslee

Classification Cairn (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Mound (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) 'Withisleis'; Kinmont Tower

Canmore ID 67549

Site Number NY37SE 7

NGR NY 3891 7412

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/67549

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Canonbie
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY37SE 7 3891 7412.

(NY 3891 7412) Kinmont Tower (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1957)

Published apparently on the authority of local residents (Name Book 1858, as the stronghold owned and occupied by Kinmont Willie (Armstrong), who in fact had Sark, or Morton, which is shown on a map of 1590 as Kinmont Tower (see NY37NW 5).

This is almost certainly the site of one of the two towers shown on the map (Royal MS. 18D iii, Burghley Atlas map 1590) at Woodhouselees (Withisleis). Ebye Armstrong, 'the goodman of Waddusles', is mentioned in 1583. The majority of the many border towers in the area were owned by members of the Armstrong clan.

J and R Hyslop 1912; H Maxwell 1896

At this site, there is a very large, probably artifical, circular gravelly mound, with a flattish top, which measures about 20 m in diameter and 1 m high, being quarried into on the SE side. It is unlikely to be associated with the quarry to the SE. No trace of any tower exists on the mound, nor could any local information be found regarding the name of the tower.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 23 June 1970

The mound, which pre-dates the quarry (not shown), is shown as a pecked outline, some 21.0m by 23.0m. A penannular ring of trees occupies the site of the quarry.

OS 25" map (1859)

No change to the previous field report.

Visited by OS (JP) 20 February 1973

Situated at the edge of a terrace 190m SW of Woodslee House, there is what may be a cairn measuring 19m in diameter and 1.5m in height.

Nothing can be seen of the tower of 'Withisleis' which is noted on a map of 1590; it was probably situated in the vicinity of Woodslee House (NY 391 742).

RCAHMS 1981, visited October 1980.

J Blaeu 1654; J and R Hyslop 1912; T H B Graham 1912.

Listed as cairn and tower.

RCAHMS 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions