Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Castlemilk

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Castlemilk

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Old Castlemilk Tower House

Canmore ID 66668

Site Number NY17NW 8.01

NGR NY 1495 7758

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/66668

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish St Mungo
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY17NW 8.01 1495 7758.

(NY 1495 7758) Castlemilk (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1957)

Castle built by the Bruces in the 12th century; 'whilst a fortified place it was beseiged by the Duke of Somerset during Edward VI's minority'.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845 (A Jameson)

Reid, however, casts some doubt on this. There is mention of a tower in 1578. It was bombarded under Cromwell, which may be the reason why not a stone of Castlemilk Tower remains.

R C Reid 1936

No trace.

Visited by OS (RD) 21 June 1966

Castlemilk capitulated to the English under Thomas Lord Wharton, warden of the West Marches, in September 1547, and it is stated in a drawing of it made later that year, that it stood on an earth bank 150 ft high.

The structure itself was fairly small: 33 ft long, 18 ft wide, 33 ft high with walls 7 1/2 ft thick. It also shows vertical slits in the walls; these have a central aperture; this was in practice a rare form of arrow- slit dating from the 13th century, and there is no evidence that it was ever inserted as a shot-hole.

M Merriman 1967; A M T Maxwell-Irving 1974

Castlemilk [NR]

(site of) [NAT]

OS 1:2500 map, 1967.

Castlemilk. Listed as tower.

RCAHMS 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions