Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Stiddrig

Long Cairn (Neolithic)

Site Name Stiddrig

Classification Long Cairn (Neolithic)

Alternative Name(s) Broadshaw Rig; Stidriggs; Stiddrig Long Cairn

Canmore ID 66380

Site Number NY09NW 4

NGR NY 0413 9877

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/66380

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkpatrick-juxta
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY09NW 4 0413 9877

(NY 0413 9877) Stiddrig Cairn (TI)

OS 6" map, 2nd series, (1900).

See also NY09NW 2.

Long Cairn, Stiddrig. It lies with its main axis north by west and south by east measuring 91' in extreme length, 61' in breadth at the south end and 29' at the north, and rising in elevation towards the former direction with a greatest altitude of 6'. At the south end for some 10' the stones have been removed from above the present ground level, leaving a mere foundation exposed. There is no indication of a previous existence of a frontal semicircle, nor do any large blocks appear in the outline of the cairn. From the north end, and to either side at the opposite extremity, there project short lengths of wall, evidently erected for sheep protection. Beacons have been erected on the summit. There is not a sign of any attempt of excavation.

RCAHMS 1920

Stiddrig long cairn is situated on the moor on the N.W. shoulder of Broadshaw Rig. It is a massive pile of stones oriented NW to SE with its broadest end at the SE where it is 19.0m across. The cairn, which is pear-shaped, measures 30.0m in overall length with its "tail" 9.5m across. The maximum height is 1.5m (excluding four small modern cairns on top). Sheep shelters have been built into its sides in the form of dry stone revetment walls, forming a rough triangle in plan. The whole has been considerably mutilated, No remains of a chamber were noted, but this may have been destroyed as there is much disturbance at the SE end.

Visited by OS (W D J) 2 September 1959

Stidriggs long cairn stands on moors which are now desolate but which were probably more widely used in the 2nd and perhaps the 3rd millennium BC, as patches of clearance cairns and burial cairns in the vicinity testify.

R W Feachem 1963

Unaffected by recent forestry ploughing and planting.

Visited by R C Callander 25 April 1988.

This long cairn is situated within a forestry clearing on a terrace on the N shoulder of Broadshaw Rig. Aligned with its long axis from NNW to SSE, it measures 25m in length by up to 2m in height, increasing in width from 10.7m at the NNW to 19m at the SSE end, where there is a shallow facade. The crest and flanks of the cairn have been much disturbed by stone robbing and the construction of sheep shelters, and a stone wall crosses the facade.

Visited by RCAHMS (SMF), 29 August 1990.

Listed as 'Stidriggs, long cairn'.

RCAHMS 1997.

Scheduled (with NY09NW 2) as 'Stiddrig Cairn, long cairn and cairn...'

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 16 March 2010.

Long Cairn [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, April 2010.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions