Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lochmaben, High Street, Lochmaben Parish Church

Church (Period Unassigned), Gate Pier(S) (Period Unassigned), Wall (Period Unassigned), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Lochmaben, High Street, Lochmaben Parish Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), Gate Pier(S) (Period Unassigned), Wall (Period Unassigned), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Saint Magdalene's Church, Boundary Wall And Gate Piers; War Memorial Plaque; War Memorial Plaque To Lt Sanders

Canmore ID 66312

Site Number NY08SE 54

NGR NY 08365 82268

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/66312

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Lochmaben
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY08SE 54 08365 82268

NMRS REFERENCE

For (predecessor) Lochmaben, St Mary Magdalene's Church (NY 0812 8249) and related burial-ground, medieval grave-slab and long cist, see NY08SE 5.

Church, built 1819.

Geoffrey D. Hay 1957.

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

Repair of church and building of manse.

Receipt for John Carruthers of Holmains' proportion of £264.19.0 (Scots) for repair of the church and of £1000 (Scots) for the provision of a manse.

1730 GD 207/103/1

Activities

Publication Account (1980)

Little is known of the parish church of Lochmaben which received an early mention in 1202 when it was gifted to Guisborough in Yorkshire. It maintained its connection with Guisborough until after the Wars of Independence and was at the Reformation a prebend of Lincluden (Wilson, 1968, 5). The original church – dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene - stood in the old churchyard behind High Street along the shore of Kirk Loch. It was a Gothic edifice which was. taken down in 1818 and replaced by Lochmaben Church which stands at the southern end of High Street. Although the church was burned during the 1593 feud between the Maxwells and Johnstons and many may denounce this as sacrilege, one local writer of the last century argued passionately that the deliberate demolition of the Gothic edifice in 1818 was a still greater profanation of things sacred' (Graham, 1865, 123). Two pre-Reformation items which escaped the demolisher's gunpowder in 1818 are church bells which are still in use today.

Information from ‘Historic Lochmaben: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1980).

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions