Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glenae Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Glenae Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 66003

Site Number NX99SE 5

NGR NX 9846 9053

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/66003

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkmichael (Nithsdale)
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NX99SE 5 9846 9053.

(NX 98429052) Glenae Tower (NR) (Remains of).

OS 6" map (1957)

Glenae Tower, now ruinous, measures 24 ft E-W by 19 ft 6 ins over walls 3 ft in thickness, built of boulders. There is a small window in the S wall, and a bar-hole in the E wall indicates the entrance. This was the home of the Dalzells, who after the 15th century acquired and moved to Kirkmichael Tower, when Glenae seems to have fallen into disuse.

RCAHMS 1920, visited 1914; Trans Dumfriesshire Galloway Natur Hist Antiq Soc 1926

NX 9846 9053 The remains of Glenae Tower (name confirmed by W S Brack, a forester, of Ae) are generally as described above. The walling survives to a maximum height of 2.5m.

Surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (BS) 26 July 1977

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions