Dunscore Old Church, Churchyard And The Laird Of Lag's Tomb
Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Burial Vault (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)
Site Name Dunscore Old Church, Churchyard And The Laird Of Lag's Tomb
Alternative Name(s) Lag's Tomb; Farthingwell; Lagg's Tomb
Canmore ID 65959
Site Number NX98SW 8
NGR NX 92661 83241
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish Dunscore
- Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
- Former District Nithsdale
- Former County Dumfries-shire
NX98SW 8 92661 832341
(NX 9265 8323) Church (NR) (Site of)
Laird of Lag's Tomb (NR)
OS 6" map (1948)
The first mention of the church occurs in 1412: in 1645 it was so ruinous that it was decided to build a new church, more central to the parish. The churchyard, however, continued to be used.
NSA 1841 (R Bryden); P J Hamilton-Grierson 1956.
Sir Robert Grierson of Lag (1650-1736) is buried in the family burial place in the old churchyard. The earliest date in the enclosure is 1656.
RCAHMS 1920, visited 1912
The church of Dunscore is mentioned in a monastic dispute in 1257.
R Simpson 1925
No certain remains of the church can be identified. The Laird of Lag's Tomb is situated in the eastern part of a burial vault at NX 9267 8323. The inscription on the gravestone states that it was moved here from Lag Tower and gives the date of Sir Robert Grierson's death as 1733.
The western part of the burial vault could not be entered at the time of field investigation.
Visited by OS (RDL) 25 June 1964