Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Comyn's Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Comyn's Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Dalswinton House Policies

Canmore ID 65896

Site Number NX98SW 13

NGR NX 9430 8408

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65896

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkmahoe
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NX98SW 13 9430 8408

For (successor) Dalswinton Old House and (present) Dalswinton House, see NX98SW 14 and NX98SW 79.00 respectively.

(NX 9429 8407) Comyn's Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1948)

The castle upon the same site as the present mansion of Dalswinton was probably there in 1250. It belonged to the Comyns and was a 'notable strength'. It was superseded as a dwelling place by the old (early 17th century) House of Dalswinton. (NX 98 SW14)

A C Smith 1924

Part of the walls were still standing, 12 to 14 feet thick in 1792.

NSA 1841 (J Wightman)

The site of the old castle was cleared by Patrick Miller who purchased the estate in 1785.

A C Smith 1934

NX 9430 8408 No remains. The site is occupied by a tennis court.

Visited by OS (RDL) 25 June 1964.

Activities

Geophysical Survey (June 2009)

NX 9430 8408 Features were also detected in the resistivity and magnetic surveys of the southerly lawn of the present mansion of Dalswinton, the site of Comyn’s Castle. They are as yet of uncertain significance.

Archive: Not yet known

Funder: Hunter Archaeological Trust

Richard Jones – Glasgow University

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions