- Council Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish Dunscore
- Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
- Former District Nithsdale
- Former County Dumfries-shire
NX98SW 1 9189 8465
For logboat found nearby, see NX98SW 68.
(NX 9189 8465 - OS 6" map, 1856). A small island in a loch near Friar's Carse was revealed as a crannog, about 80 ft by 70 ft, during partial drainage in the autumn of 1878.
Its timbers, some morticed, bore traces of clay flooring and a central paving, near which were found sherds of a medieval dish and two jar handles. A dug-out canoe (now in Thornhill Museum) with an inserted sternboard, was found about 60 yds from the island, and on its W side, at a distance of about 30 yds, an axe-hammer (which was donated to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS in 1935 - Accession no: AH 199) and a paddle. Two 1st century Roman paterae (now lost) were found in the summer of 1790 in a moss a mile from Friar's Carse by the builders of the turnpike road. These were believed by Dr Curle to have come from the crannog, which on this assumption is included by Mrs Piggott in her list of crannogs of the Roman Iron Age.
RCAHMS 1920; R Munro 1882; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1936; R Riddell 1794
J Curle 1932; C M Piggott 1955
Carse Loch is enclosed in a marsh within a wood, access to which is at present hindered by dense undergrowth. The crannog could not be identified. The topography of the area suggests that the loch was probably drained to the ESE via Mains Burn and that the canoe was possibly found between NX 9193 8462 and NX 9211 8454; it was not located in Thornhill Museum. No further information.
Visited by OS (RDL) 25 June 1964
Pottery, etc from this crannog was donated to Dumfries Museum in 1965 when Thornhill Museum was closed. One piece, which can be dated, is of 13th - 14th century date. The paterae are listed by Robertson and Scott, while Roe mentions the axe-hammer.
A E Truckell 1966; A E Truckell and J Williams 1967; A S Robertson 1970; J G Scott 1966; F E S Roe 1967.