Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Low Auldgirth

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Low Auldgirth

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Auldgirth

Canmore ID 65800

Site Number NX98NW 3

NGR NX 9159 8685

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65800

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Closeburn
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NX98NW 3 9159 8685.

Adjacent to the farm of Low Auldgirth, (NX 916 868) are the ruins of two contiguous walls, some 3 ft 6 in thick, of a small keep. The basement has been a simple barrel-vault.

RCAHMS 1920, visited 1913

NX 91598685. The site of this tower was pointed out on the ground by the landowner, Mr Kennedy, of Blackwood Estate. The remains were demolished in 1927.

Surveyed at 1/2500

Visited by OS (BS) 12 June 1975.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions