Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tynron Parish Church

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (19th Century), Covenanters Grave (17th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Tynron Parish Church

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (19th Century), Covenanters Grave (17th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) War Memorial Plaques

Canmore ID 65326

Site Number NX89SW 34

NGR NX 80590 93012

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65326

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Tynron
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NX89SW 34 80590 93012

Tynron parish church was built in 1837 on the site of its predecessor which was erected about the beginning of the 17th century and rebuilt c.1750 using much material taken from Tynron Doon (NX89SW 1).

W Wilson 1957

There are no remains of the earlier church incorporated in the 19th century structure. The churchyard's oldest headstone appears to be dated 1683, and there are several others of the 17th century including a covenanter's grave dated 1685.

Visited by OS (JRL) 23 August 1977.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect - William Burn 1829-37

Site Management (19 February 1998)

L-plan, small Gothic church, with gabled central vestry on long south wall, porch in both re-entrant angles. All stugged pink ashlar with polished dressings. Large 3-light window with shafted jambs and moulded reveals to each gable (projecting on north jam to support square apex belfry) with hoodmould linked to angle buttresses; smaller, similar window to vestry, with hoodmould continued over depressed-arched doors in porches: single windows to body of church flanking both vestry and north jam. Grotesque gargoyles over angles; shaped skews. Wallhead stack above vestry, 2 twisted circular flues. Belfry has angle buttresses, hoodmoulded pointed openings, diminutive grotesque gargoyles over angles, and finialed pyramidal roof. Church roofed with graded slates.

2 Tombstones, including Martyr's Stone, are noted in the RCAHM Inventory. A for completeness. (Historic Scotland)

Activities

Construction (1829 - 1835)

Architect William Burn 1829-37. Measured drawings from 1834-1835.

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

Note (25 June 2014)

The Tynron parish church First World War memorial plaque is reported as having been moved to the village hall.

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 25 June 2014.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions