Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dalgarnock Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dalgarnock Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Kirkbog

Canmore ID 65285

Site Number NX89SE 5

NGR NX 8758 9362

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65285

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Closeburn
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NX89SE 5 8758 9362.

(NX 8758 9362) Dalgarnock Church (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1957)

Dalgarnock church, which was dedicated to St Michael, was granted to Holyrood Abbey in the time of William the Lion. The parish was annexed to Closeburn in 1606. Though the church has disappeared, the font is in the porch of Closeburn church.

RCAHMS 1920, visited 1912

St Michael's Well (sic) is nearby (See NX89SE 4).

H Scott 1917

The churchyard contains 17th and 18th c grave-stones and, on the left

of the entrance, the socket stone of a cross with a rectangular mortice. H Scott 1950

The churchyard is as described. No trace exists of the church. The socket stone could not be found.

Visited by OS (SFS) 9 June 1975

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions