Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Templand Mains

Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Templand Mains

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 65264

Site Number NX89SE 3

NGR NX 8771 9396

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65264

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Closeburn
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NX89SE 3 8778 9396.

(NX 87718384) Standing Stone (NR)

OS 6" map (1957)

The remains of a stone circle which gives its name to the farm "Temple-land" on which it stands (Scots Mag 1806) Two of the stones were still standing in 1806 (R M F Watson 1901) and one in 1913.

RCAHMS 1920

Only one stone now remains.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (SFS) 9 June 1975

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions