Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.


Country House (18th Century)

Site Name Craigdarroch

Classification Country House (18th Century)

Canmore ID 64854

Site Number NX79SW 6

NGR NX 74142 90903

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Glencairn
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Architecture Notes

NX79SW 6.00 74142 90903

NX79SW 6.01 74042 90899 House

NX79SW 6.02 73796 90943 Stables

NX79SW 6.03 74703 90917 Lodge

NX79SW 6.04 74118 90936 Ice House (Garden Building)

NX79SE 162 75690 90773 Sawmill Cottage

(NX 7413 9090) The old keep of Craigdarroch has been transformed into a modern mansion.

J Corrie 1910

Externally Craigdarroch is an outstanding example of a Georgian mansion. The owner (Major H H Sykes, Craigdarroch, Moniaive) states that an existing house, the family seat of the Fergusson's, was extensively altered and extended by William Adam in 1729. Copies of Adam's original designs are held by Major Sykes, but they give no clear impression of the former house, and visual inspection is hindered by further 19th century alterations and additions. However, the central core has crossing walls over 1.0m thick and a stone turnpike stair which is evidently an original feature. Also, numerous inscribed stone tablets, have been inserted in the 18th and 19th century N wall. These appear authentic and all show the same coat of arms (? Fergusson); three bear dates of 1609, 1631 and 1637 (?).

All that can be assumed of the pre-1729 structure is that it was 'L' shaped, of substantial walling, with 2 storeys and a stair in the angle. Visited by OS (JRL) 13 January 1978


Owner - Mojor H H Sykes (purchased late 1962)

Architect - William Adam

John Starforth - additions?


Scottish Record Office

Estimate for building £526.2.9

1726 GD77/204/1

H M Register House

Inventory Ferguson of Craigdarroch - Estimate for building new house at Craigdarroch 1726

Item 204 (1)


Photographic Survey (1955)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1955.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions