Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Garden Feature (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dunjop

Classification Garden Feature (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Dunjop House; Fort Dunjop

Canmore ID 64679

Site Number NX76SW 12

NGR NX 7097 6048

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Tongland
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX76SW 12 7097 6048.

(NX 7103 6051) Mote (NR)

OS 6" map (1958)

Fort Dunjop is a tree-covered hillock. Almost half-way up its north side is a 40ft length of rampart about 10ft broad and 1ft high, with a slight hollowed terrace in rear of it. No work is visible around the flanks but on the west, near the base, a similar mound runs from the adjacent field dyke which seems to surmount it on the south, for a distance of 93 feet, before turning sharply away from the hillock towards the road, being interupted by a mill-lade.

RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911

The feature described by the RCAHMS is at NX 7097 6048 and is undoubtedly a severely mutilated motte. It consists of a central mound, terraced on the north, east and west with traces of a rampart or bank at the foot of the north and west sides. The scarp shown on the OS plan to the east although possibly the remains of a bailey are more likely to be cultivation-type terraces.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 29 July 1968.

There is no evidence that the mound to the SW of Dunjop steading has been a motte. On the ENE, the slope of the ground appears entirely natural with no evidence of scarping. A terrace on the NE side of the mound, approached by a track, is likely to be a garden feature associated with Dunjop House (ie: a prospect mound). The scarps shown on the 1:10,000 map to the ENE, previously interpreted either as a bailey or cultivation remains, have been eradicated by the recent construction of a bungalow.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS/JRS) 6 September 1993.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions