Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

High Banks

Cup And Ring Marked Rock (Prehistoric)

Site Name High Banks

Classification Cup And Ring Marked Rock (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) High Banks Farm

Canmore ID 64442

Site Number NX74NW 43

NGR NX 70910 48950

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/64442

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkcudbright
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX74NW 43 70910 48950.

(NX 710 490) Several groups of cup-and-ring markings occur on an exposure of rock 1/4 mile SE of High Banks 97' long facing WNW, and running NNE-SSW (see illustrations, which show three of four casts of parts of this rock which are in the NMAS). The rock is situated 40 yds from the SW wall, 150 yds from the NE wall.

3yds W of the summit of the knoll on which these marks are situated are two lines of 4 and 5 cups respectively.

RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911; R W Feachem 1963; R W B Morris and D C Bailey 1967

The above cup-and-ring marked rocks were located at NX 7091 4895.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 18 January 1971

About 10m SSW of the main group of inscriptions is an isolated cup and two rings, 11cm in diameter and broken off at the rock's edge. It slopes 33 to the S. Some 250cm W of the main group of engravings is an outcrop sloping 4 degrees N with a cupmark surrounded by three very faint rings and some eleven small cups.

Only 320cm W of quarry is an outcrop sloping 5 degrees N having a cup and two incomplete rings and two single cups, one of which has faint traces of two rings. A complete ground plan of the whole site will be available shortly. More carvings have been noted recently.

M A M Van Hoeck 1986.

Activities

Publication Account (1986)

One of the best displays of prehistoric rock art in Galloway, this rock sheet, about 30m long, bears several groups of cups and cups-and-rings. Some of the ringed cups are set within a fIeld of massed simple cups, and their outer rings are widely spaced. The greatest ring diameter is 0.45m.

Casts of this remarkable pattern are exhibited in the Stewartry Museum, Kirkcudbright, which also houses cup-and-ring marked slabs from Blackmyre (NX 497570) and Laggan (NX 5453).

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: Dumfries and Galloway’, (1986).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions