Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

White Cairn

Cairn (Period Unassigned), Arrowhead, Axe Hammer

Site Name White Cairn

Classification Cairn (Period Unassigned), Arrowhead, Axe Hammer

Alternative Name(s) Corriedoo

Canmore ID 64279

Site Number NX68SE 2

NGR NX 68140 83327

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/64279

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Dalry (Stewartry)
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX68SE 2 68140 83327.

(NX 6815 8332) White Cairn (NR).

OS 6" map (1957)

Though it has been robbed for stones, the bulk of White Cairn still remains, 12ft in height to the base of the modern beacon surmounting it. It has measured 92ft in diameter N-S by 104ft transversely, when complete.

A grooved axe-hammer, found near the White Cairn, is noted in the possession of Mr Hornel, Broughton House, Kirkcudbright in 1930 and an arrowhead of red-coloured flint from a drain near this cairn was exhibited to the members of the Dumfries and Galloway Natur Hist Antiq Soc in 1867-8.

RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911; J M Corrie 1930; 1932; F E S Roe 1967

White Cairn (name not verified) is an extant and impressive round cairn situated on the end of a low promontory. Measuring 31.0m in diameter and 3.5m high it has been robbed almost to ground level in the south quadrant. It has no special features.

Surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (TRG) 24 April 1978

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions