Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Plunton Castle

Building(S) (Period Unassigned), Garden (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Rig And Furrow (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Plunton Castle

Classification Building(S) (Period Unassigned), Garden (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Rig And Furrow (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 64160

Site Number NX65SW 6

NGR NX 60495 50736

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Borgue
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX65SW 6 60495 507236.

(NX 6049 5072) Plunton Castle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1957)

Plunton Castle, which was built in the second half of the 16th century, occupies a site of considerable natural strength. It stands on a level plateau some 500' N-S by 370' E-W. Immediately E are the indications of a stone wall which probably enclosed a garden, and to the S and W are signs of foundations which may be of stables or servants' quarters.

The castle itself is L-shaped on plan, measuring c.21' by 15' within 3'4" thick walls, with a wheel-stair projecting at the W angle. It stood 3 storeys and an attic high, but is now ruinous, c.35' high.

Plunton belonged to the McGhie family in the early 16th century, but passed to the Lennoxes, who probably built the present buildings, about the middle of that century.

RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911; N Tranter 1970

Generally as described and planned.

Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 24 February 1972

The remains of what may be the garden and further buildings associated with the castle have been recorded as earthworks on oblique aerial photography (RCAHMSAP 2000) lying immediately to the SE and NW of the castle. Ploughed down rig can be seen immediately SW and NE of the tower-house.

Information from RCAHMS (KMM) 20 December 2004


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions