Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Borgue Old House

House (17th Century)

Site Name Borgue Old House

Classification House (17th Century)

Canmore ID 63938

Site Number NX64NW 17

NGR NX 63343 48209

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/63938

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Borgue
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX64NW 17 63343 48209

(NX 6334 4820) Borgue Old House, now ruinous, originally dates from the late 17th century, when it was L-shaped on plan, the main block being 48' long with a 30' 3" wing projecting to the SE. A second wing, which projects 10' 5" and is 18' 10" broad, has been added to the SW angle probably at a later date, while a projecting wing which probably contained a timber staircase has been attached to the N wall, so that the house is now E-shaped, the inner arm of the E being reversed. It has been a substantial building of two storeys and an attic.

RCAHMS 1914, visited 1912; SDD List, undated

Borgue Old House (name confirmed) dates from 1680 (date stone set in garage lintel at Borgue House) when it undoubtedly measured overall 15.0m E-W x 6.0m transversely with two contemporary wings projecting from the SE and SW corners. A further wing 4.4m x 4.6m projecting from the north wall was probably added at a slightly later date.

Visited by OS (RD) 5 February 1971.

Site Management (25 September 1992)

Important 17th century house now roofless but mostly complete to wall-head. Unusual plan, not all of one build. Rectangular central block with long walls to N and S gables to E and W, projecting wings at end bays with gable heads to S (that to W being shorter), projecting wing (possibly stair tower) to centre of N wall. To S a single storey outbuilding adjoins the SE tower which probably originally formed part of a courtyard wall enclosing the S side of the house. 2 storeys and attics, rubble walling, squared quoins. The RCAHMS Inventory gives the main block and SE wing as being original, with the SW tower and the N wing as later additions. The main entrance is centrally placed to the S elevation and is flanked by generously proportioned windows, all roll-moulded with thick section mouldings. Most other openings are roll-moulded or chamfered, a good number of the roll-mouldings have been reused. There is a roll-moulded chimneypiece to ground with corbel stones supporting lintel, otherwise few internal features survive. Stacks to gable heads, gables with remains of kneeler skewputts. Single storey rubble outbuilding abutting SE tower with to the S wall a rubble voussoired round-arched fireplace (possibly earlier cooking hearth) converted in 19th century to house brick-lined 2-oven kiln fireproof roof (partly fallen) to this section with metal angle-irons supporting large slates. The purpose of the small kiln is not known. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions