Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Barmagachan

Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Lairds House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Barmagachan

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Lairds House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Canmore ID 63934

Site Number NX64NW 13

NGR NX 61300 49431

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/63934

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Borgue
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX64NW 13 61300 49431.

(NX 6130 4942) The small and severely plain laird's house of Barmagachan probably dates to the late 17th century with later additions. It is rubble-built, rising to two storeys and a garret. Internally, it has been much altered, there is no vaulting. Low modern buildings extend to the N, and it is probable that a small courtyard lay on that side. Originally, the estate of Barmagachan belonged to the Keiths, passing to the Muirs through marriage in 1459, with whom it remained till 1511, when it was sold to Thomas MacLellan. In this transaction, a tower (turris) is mentioned which does not now exist, unless incorporated in the present house. The estate was sold by the last of the MacLellans in 1737.

N Tranter 1965; SDD List, undated; Trans Dumfriesshire Galloway Natur Hist Antiq Soc 1927

As described. Name confirmed. There is no evidence or knowledge of a tower.

Visited by OS (RD) 8 February 1971.

A farmstead, comprising one roofed, one partially roofed building, two unroofed buildings annotated 'Ruin' and three enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Kirkcudbrightshire 1854, sheet 49). One roofed building and two enclosures are shown on the OS 1:10000 map (1984).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 27 June 2000.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions