Woodhead, Lead Mines And Smelter
Lead Mine, Lead Smelter, Village
- Council Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish Carsphairn
- Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
- Former District Stewartry
- Former County Kirkcudbrightshire
NX59SW 1.00 centred 531 936
NX59SW 1.01 NX 531 936 Lead Mine; Lead smelter
NX59SW 1.02 Centred NX 529 936 Miners' Rows; Buildings
Lead was mined at Woodhead by the proprietor, Col M Cathcart, between 1840 and 1873. A large 'model' village, whose population became about 300, was built with a school and schoolhouse. The most modern smelting and crushing equipment was installed. When the mine was closed, the shafts were fenced off and used as rubbish tips. The depopulated houses are now ruinous.
J Sassoon 1969.
NX 532 936 Woodhead Mine, near Carsphairn. The Scheduled remains include: a lead smelter; lade systems; dressing floors; shafts; and a deserted mining village incorporating miners¿ cottages, garden plots, school library and administration building. Earlier settlement remains in the form of buildings and property boundaries are also present. The survey confirmed that Woodhead Mine has undergone significant alteration at its core, with the removal of a great deal of mine spoil for track building. The structural elements are in a poor state of preservation, the worst being the smelter chimneys and the remains of the school. Other features, such as shafts and adits, were found to be in a generally good condition.
Report lodged with Dumfries and Galloway SMR and the NMRS.
Sponsors: HS, Dumfries and Galloway Council.
M Cressey and K Hicks 2003