Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rusko Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Rusko Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Rusco Tower; Rusco Castle

Canmore ID 63772

Site Number NX56SE 5

NGR NX 58420 60419

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/63772

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Anwoth
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX56SE 5 58420 60419.

(NX 5842 6042) Rusko Castle (NR).

OS 6" map (1957)

Rusco Castle, or Rusko Castle, now semi-ruinous, probably dates from the early 16th century. It is a simple rectangular tower, three storeys and a garret high, measuring 38 1/2' by 29' over walls 6'-8' thick. There is a ruinous two storeyed addition to the N, dating probably from the 17th century, provided with a stair-tower projecting W. This addition measures 57' by 22' over walls which nowhere exceed 3' thick.

Rusco, which in early times belonged to the Carsnane family and was known as Glenskyreburn passed by marriage in the early 16th century to Sir Robert Gordon of Lochinvar. It was inhabited till about 1890.

RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911; N Tranter 1965

Rusko Castle (name confirmed) is as described.

Visited by OS (DWR) 24 February 1972

The pits associated with the four garderobe chutes of Rusko Castle were excavated in 1973. Most of the finds were of 19th century domestic rubbish with only a few examples of earlier material, suggesting that the pits had been thoroughly cleared out on several occasions.

L J Masters 1973

A minor excavation was carried out in August 1983 on a spur 50m ESE of the tower, revealing indications of a slight rectangular building measuring c.15 x 9m. Finds included roofing slate and fragments of window glass and pottery dateable to the mid-18th century.

Information from A Mack, 1 Redlands Rd, Glasgow, letter and excavation report, 9 May 1984 (MS/338).

Now restored and occupied.

N Tranter 1990

Architecture Notes

Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC28505- DC28511, 1898.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Interesting rectangular tower of the early 16th century, in poor repair.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office - 2 Pencil Drawings, unsigned, 1887 - GD 214/57

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions