Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Garlies Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Garlies Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 63472

Site Number NX46NW 5

NGR NX 42217 69145

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/63472

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Minnigaff
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX46NW 5 42217 69145.

(NX 4221 6914) Garlies Castle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1957)

The extensive remains of Garlies Castle occupying a position of natural strength. The earliest part is a simple oblong keep at the SW angle dating from the late 15th or 16th century. The other buildings are so devoid of features that no certain date can be assigned to them.

The keep, 30' by 40' over walls 5' to 8' thick, is 30' in height on the north and west but only 10' high elsewhere. The courtyard to the east measures circa 48' by 53' enclosed on the south and east by a rough rubble wall 4' thick and circa 8' high. Other features include a circular tower with a gateway on the NW and a large paddock or outer courtyard on the NE.

The castle is owned by the Earl of Galloway, descendant of Alexander, Hereditary High Steward of Scotland on whom the barony was bestowed in 1263.

RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911

Garlies Castle is generally as described by the previous authority. The keep has the remains of a circular stair tower in its SE corner and some ancillary buildings adjoining it on the NW and SE. The courtyard, paddock and various outuildings remain as tumbled stone walls.

Visited by OS (BS) 7 April 1976.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions