Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkcowan, Old Parish Church And Burial Ground

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kirkcowan, Old Parish Church And Burial Ground

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 62992

Site Number NX36SW 5

NGR NX 32951 60598

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/62992

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkcowan
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX36SW 5 32951 60598.

(NX 3297 6061) Church (NR) (Ruin).

OS 6" map (1957)

The remains of the old parish church of Kirkcowan generally called Kirkcowan Old Kirk (Name Book 1847), consist only of the E gable, overgrown with ivy and with no features of interest. There is a doorway through it and a lintelled window above. The ONB also notes a stone dated 1656 among the ruins. The church was disused about 1830. There are no pre-1707 gravestones in the churchyard, still in use in 1847.

RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911

Watson states that there is a strong possibility that "Kirkcowan" commemorates a 6th century saint Eoghan.

W J Watson 1926

The remains of the church are generally as described above.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (TRG) 7 July 1976

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions