Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkmaiden, Old Church And Churchyard

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Cross Slab(S) (Early Medieval)

Site Name Kirkmaiden, Old Church And Churchyard

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Cross Slab(S) (Early Medieval)

Canmore ID 62660

Site Number NX33NE 1

NGR NX 36557 39968

NGR Description Centred NX 36557 39968

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/62660

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Glasserton
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX33NE 1 centred 36557 39968

Kirkmaiden began as a Dark Ages enclosed cemetery site with a chapel (C Thomas 1971) dedicated to St Medana (W J Watson 1926). It underwent extensive medieval alteration, MacGibbon and Ross dating the extant church as Norman, though the RCAHMS consider that the existing distinctive features are too scanty to date accurately.

It has consisted of a nave and chancel, with an aisle on the N, and possibly another on the S, now only represented by a mound. The walls of the nave and chancel stand almost to gable height. In the S wall of the nave are two round-headed windows and a doorway, which have been restored along their original lines. The chancel, also restored, has been the burial ground of the Maxwells of Monreith, but is no longer in use. At the W end of the nave are the footings of a structure in which 10 skeletons were found, and from this springs the W wall of the cemetery. A 17th c. belfry said to have come from here, is now in use

at Glasserton parish church.

There are 3 10th-11th century (W G Collingwood 1925) sculptured stones within a railed enclosure outside the church, one with a cross, and two with interlacing. A further 10-11th century cross-slab, found at the nearby Knock Farm (NX 370 399) in 1882 is in the NMAS - Accession no. IB 125

(J R Allen and J Anderson 1903).

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896; RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911

The chapel is generally as described, although the N aisle has now been demolished. No indications of an early cemetery were found. The cross slab still lies within the railed enclosure, but the two interlaced slabs (one of which is broken) are inside, the restored chancel.

Revised at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (DWR) 1 February 1973.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions