Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Penkill Castle

Castle (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Penkill Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 62621

Site Number NX29NW 5

NGR NX 23151 98538

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/62621

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Dailly
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NX29NW 5 2315 9854.

NX 2315 9854) Penkill Castle (and remains of) (NAT) Castle (NR).

OS 6" map (1957)

Penkill Castle is a small 16th century tower with a 17th century addition which was a deserted ruin until 1857 when it was drastically restored and a modern wing added on the east.

The original tower, almost square in plan, rises to three storeys and a garret with angle towers on the NW and SE.

The addition, built in 1628, and also three storeys and an attic but not as high as the original extends to the north and east forming the letter 'L'.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; N Tranter 1965

The circular stair tower in the re-entrant angle has been replaced by a large and unsightly modern tower. The castle has always belonged to the Boyds.

Visited by OS (JFC) 5 May 1954

Penkill Castle is generally as described in previous report. It is still in good repair.

Visited by OS (SFS) 28 January 1976

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (JL) 15 April 1977

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: Built 1500 circa. Additions 1628

Alexander G Thomson. Additions. 1857

William Bell Scott. Murals.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions