Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Glendoune House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glendoune House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Glendown House

Canmore ID 62033

Site Number NX19NE 1

NGR NX 19052 96631

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/62033

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Girvan
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NX19NE 1.00 1905 9663

(NX 1905 9663) Glendoune (NAT)

OS 6" map (1968).

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: John Murdoch C. E. 1895. Part of the lands of the property of John G.K. Young.

Plans: at Darley Hay Partnership, Ayr.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Glendoune was built at the beginning of the 17th century but has been repaired and slightly altered recently. It is three storeys high and in good repair (George K Young, owner).

Name Book 1856

Externally this mansion bears no evidence of antiquity. Colonel Young has plans dating to 1750 which show that the house was either rebuilt or extensively altered then. Part shows it as "Piemunt" in 1649, for Piedmont which was its name until it was changed to Glendoune by Young's grandfather.

Visited by OS (JLD) 5 October 1955

An 18th century house as described by previous authorities.

Visited by OS (RDL) 7 February 1963.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions