Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Dunragit House

Country House (18th Century)

Site Name Dunragit House

Classification Country House (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Dunragit House Estate; Dunragit House Policies; Little Dunragit

Canmore ID 61219

Site Number NX15NW 11

NGR NX 14975 58195

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/61219

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Old Luce
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX15NW 11.00 14975 58195

NX15NW 11.01 14731 57615 East Lodge

NX15NW 11.02 14950 58450 The Kennels (Gamekeeper's House)

NX15NW 11.03 c.1484 5820 Dunragit Home Farm, Sundial

(NX 1498 5820) Dunragit House (NAT)

OS 6" map (1957)

Incorporated in the present house of Dunragit is an older building with walls 4' 10" thick and late 17th century mouldings around two windows. Panelling taken from the Castle of Park (NX15NE 9) has been set up here. RCAHMS 1912

In the 1840's old people still referred to this house as "Little Dunragit".

G Wilson 1899

Dunragit House, as described by RCAHMS, is now in use as council flats.

Visited by OS (RD) 13 March 1968

Wilson states that the fragment of an 'old two-storey castle, with walls 5 feet (1.52m) thick' is incorporated in the SW angle of Dunragit House, an 18th-century building with 19th-century additions. Two windows with roll-moulded surrounds, of 16th- or 17th-century date, incorporated in the S wall of the main block, provide the only visible evidence which would support this view. Some time before 1514 the property was acquired by Cuthbert Bailey, Commendator of Glenluce Abbey and Lord High Treasurer of Scotland, with whose family it remained until the 18th century when the estate passed to the Dalrymples of Stair.

RCAHMS 1987, visited February 1986.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: Allan Stevenson & Cassells. 1935-36. Adds & alts for Mrs WAM Sim.

Plans: at Darley Hay Partnership, Ayr.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions