Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Drummore Castle

Farmhouse (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Drummore Castle

Classification Farmhouse (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Low Drummore; Drimmore

Canmore ID 60971

Site Number NX13NW 11

NGR NX 13521 36395

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/60971

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkmaiden
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX13NW 11 13521 36395

(Name: NX 1335 3642) Drummore Castle (NR)

(Remains of)

OS 6" map (1957)

The remains of Drummore Castle are incorporated in the farm steading of Low Drummore. The building is rectangular, measuring 38'6" by 22'6" over all, and is now only 2 storeys high. On the ground floor are three vaulted cellars; the entrance doorway, now built up, is in the N wall and has a narrow wheel-stair adjoining it. The upper floor, now used as a store, is entered via a modern outside stair, and though now one room, was originally an apartment with a small ante-room at the W end. Drummore Castle was an ancient stronghold of the Adairs of Kinhilt. The present building appears to date from the 16th century, and was occupied down to at least 1684, when an Adair was in possession.

RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911

NX 1351 3640. The tower was totally destroyed c.1963 - covered by a concrete floor. Nothing of interest was found during the demolition. Visited by OS (DWR) 27 January 1972

The remains of a 16th-century tower-house comprising its ground and first floors, with three vaulted cellars on the ground floor, stood on the SE of Low Drummore Farmhouse; they were pulled down about 1963.

G Chalmers 1887-1902; W Macfarlane 1906-8; RCAHMS 1912; RCAHMS 1985, visited August 1984.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions